Saturday, April 01, 2006

2006 Quick Look

We are only a day away for the start of the 2006 Major League Baseball season. Usually the excitement is boiling over as I wait for opening day, but that is not quite the case in 2006.
We all know the Cubs problems and everybody has beaten them to death. The good news over the past week is that one Dusty player (Grissom) has retired. So, that means Matt Murton should get plenty of at bats to show what he can do.
As it is every year the Cubs success will be in large part to the health of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. Like every year, our best pitchers are heading to the DL. Just once I would like to be healthy heading into the season, but I guess that is the lot of a Cub fan.
So, onto the predictions.
AL EAST
1. Toronto
2. New York
3. Boston
4. Baltimore
5. Tampa Bay

I think the Blue Jays are much better and they spent enough money to be better. I think the Yankees are a couple injuries from serious trouble. The Red Sox are not as good as the past few years. The O's and Rays could surprise people this year.

AL CENTRAL
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Minnesota
4. Detroit
5. Kansas City

It is hard to pick against the World Champs, but I really think the Indians are ready to rule this division. They have youth everywhere and quality pitching. I think this might be the best two teams in the AL. Minnesota still has the best pitcher in the game and some young hitters. Detroit might be the surprise team this year. Kansas City, well it might be a long year.

AL WEST
1. Los Angeles
2. Oakland
3. Seattle
4. Texas

This is a wide-open race. My picks could be totally wrong. I could see Texas win this thing just as easy as the Angels. I just think the Angels have the best combination of pitching and offense.

NL EAST
1. Atlanta
2. New York
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington
5. Florida

Until the Braves lose, I will never pick against them again.

NL CENTRAL
1. St. Louis
2. Milwaukee
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Cincinnati
6. Pittsburgh

How I would love to pick the Cubs, but I just don't see it. The Cardinals still have enough offense and pitching to win. I may just become a Brewers fan. The reason is they should be so fun to watch. The Cubs could contend, but until we get rid of Dusty and his band of idiot men, it will not happen.


NL WEST
1. San Diego
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Arizona
5. Colorado

Who really knows how this division is going to turn out. It looked like the winner of this division was going to have a losing record, but it did not turn out that way. The Dodges are improved, but I think the Padres are ready to repeat.

AL Wild Card: White Sox
NL Wild Card: Mets

AL Winner: Cleveland
NL Winner: Mets

World Series Champions: Cleveland