Sunday, August 14, 2005

Calling out the Army

After a conversation with Joe Aiello from The View from the Bleachers,, it has become apparent that it is time to rally the army. What army am I talking about? I am talking about "The Cub Blog Army."
I was reading through my archives last night and read many posts during the 2003 season. There were many times that season that I referred to the season as "being over."
This season has been hard to deal with. There are many glaring problems here are just a couple:
1. Dusty Baker - Yes he is a terrible game manager. There is no method to the lineups that he runs out on the field. Why do you pitch to probably the best hitter in the game with first base open? Only Baker can tell you.
2. Being Healthy - All season we have battled through injuries. Nomar Garciaparra went down along with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood. Aramis Ramirez has been gimpy for a month. There is nothing we can do about this stuff.
3. Erratic play - There is no team in the majors other than the Cubs that could lose eight straight and then take 3-of-4 from the Cardinals. I can't understand it, but the good news is we play a tough schedule the rest of the way out.

Those are three really big problems, but guess what? We are only 6.5 games out of the playoffs. Too big of gap? Maybe. Too many teams in front of us? Maybe. Will we make the ground up? Not likely. Here is the thing we still have a chance. With all the terrible play over the last month, somehow the Cubs have found a way to keep hope alive.

Getting back to my conversation tonight with Joe. He has given up and thinks we should lose every game. I for one can't do that. It is time for the Cub Blog Army to action. I remember when the Army was formed during the summer of '03. Now it is time to rise to the challenge again. As a sports writer, I know the Cubs have just about no chance to make a real run, but as a fan it is my job to root for my team no matter what. Somewhere as the CBA grew we lost sight of what made us write in the first place. We are all fans of the Cubs, if you are not a fan then why write? The Army has to be strong this next week. It starts with a three game series against the Astros. We can be right back in the thick of things if we can take two of three.
We have had many members come and go, but the heart remains. We must put aside our bitter thoughts towards Dusty and get ready for the rest of the season.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption.

Hope is all we have now and I would rather have hope than nothing. The games still matter and that is enough for me. So if you think the season is over then go away, because we might as keep playing the games while they matter. I am not ready to give into 2006 just yet.

6.5 games and five teams to make up. Sounds like a good time to me.