Sunday, May 07, 2006

Heart Break

For once I am not talking about the Cubs, but the Cubs have sure given plenty of heart break this week. After a nice solid the start the Cubs have started playing like I thought they would. It may not be the players, but actually Dusty finally showing his true stuff again this week.
Now to my main reason for posting today. As many of you know, I am a sports writer for a small daily paper in the Southern Arkansas. Well, last night I was covering the Class AAAAA State Baseball Tournament and the game ended on a 2-run walk off home run in the bottom of the 7th inning.
The hardest story of the year is writing the one that ends the season.
It was a good game, not great, because there were mistakes on both sides. The heart break comes into play, because I had gotten to know the players this year and to see them lose like that was tough. I am supposed to detached and I am, but you can't help but to feel something. I think too many times journalists shut off feelings.
Last night I knew there was nothing gained from talking to the players or coaches after the loss, because in the large scheme of things it was better to just let them deal with what just happened.
You would think after years of watching the Cubs it would get easier to deal with disappointment. But it never does and that is why we keep coming back to this great game.