Wednesday, October 15, 2003

So I lifted My Media Blackout

Baseball is the greatest game in the world. It is a sport where time does not matter. It is all about outs. Its funny how simple that sounds, but everywhere else you have to deal with the clock, but baseball you have an out. 27 little outs to win a ballgame. The cubs played until 22 last night. I was not going to write anything last night or today, but I could not get away from all the thoughts that have run through my head since last night.

That was the single most worst baseball moment I have ever had. I tried to put things into perspective, but there is none. The Cubs had chances to put it away only to see it gone in a blink of an eye. I talked to my buddy Dan Loflin, the Red Sox fan, and was just as shocked as me. He said be glad that it was not in the World Series. There are no words to explain it, but I tried what else could have been close.

My mother tried to remind me that it is just a game. She is right it is a game, but it still hurts. The Funny thing is that all the pain can be taken away tonight. Forget all what you hear about crushing defeats, but the Cubs are still 27 outs away and Kerry Wood is on the mound. The Cubs are 4-0 in his starts, including game 4's thrilling win. My guess is that Miller and Karros will play against the lefty. The Marlins will probably have Brad Penny and a host of others out the bullpen tonight.