Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Finally some offense

Many of you know that I am a sports writer by trade. Only reason I say that is I rarely get to see a night game live. Well, last night was one of those nights.

I caught the action starting in the second inning after the Cubs were up 2-0 and I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. The Cubs finally put some run on the board in a 12-4 win over the Padres.

That was the good news along with a better lineup for the time being with Aramis out of the lineup. What was up with Murton playing right? Could that mean Mr. Jones might be heading out of town? Probably not, but something interesting to consider.

Pitching: The Cubs starting pitching has been real solid to start the season, other than Big Z blowing up in the fifth inning on Friday. Wade Miller probably makes his case to stay in the lineup tonight against Maddux. I think it is really unfair on a guy not to get regular work in the early going. So I can't blame Miller for a rocky start.

The bad: Alfonso Soraino. I love spending over 130 million dollars on a guy, only to see him taken out for injury. Of course the offense was actually sparked when he was out of the lineup. I think somebody needs to convince Alfonso to hit in the two hole in the lineup and let Ryan Theriot leadoff, wait Derosa is our everyday second baseman.


I head to Atlanta on Thursday to watch Rich Hill take on the Braves. So look for a report then.