Saturday, May 03, 2003

My Crimson Tide

I would not normaly do this, but I need to get a few things off my chest. About 99% I will talk about the Cubs, but today my Crimson Tide need a moment.

I am a student at the University of Alabama and a Journalism major. Today the University fired Coach Mike Price. There are many things that bother me about this choice.

1) The Players- To see thier support for Coach Price was really heartfelt was a true measure of thier love for Him and the Crimson Tide football program. If anybody is hurt because of this is will be them. The players were almost in tears. This will be the third coach in about 5 months. Now they have to learn a system with new coaches.

2) The University- Now Alabama has another black eye to deal with. They have to go out and find a coach that can lead not only the team, but be a good role model for the University.

3) AD Mal Moore- Coach Moore bleads crimson and he hired coach Price. This will also cost him his job in the long run. Moore has been at the University since Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant was around and this is just a sad day for him.

4) The Fans- This is where I fit in. Football is a way of life in Alabama. In recent years I have started to focus on other sports like baseball, but many people in the state live and die by this program. I am just glad I have the Cubs to watch each day. In Alabama they had coverage all day. For 3 and half hours the local news broke away to cover this story. It will lead the Newscasts everyday until a new coach is found and then even after that.

I may not agree with the choices that have been made, but I am not the University President. He made the move he had to and it is what he thought was right. This is a black day for Alabama, but at least for me the Cubs are up 4-3 in the 7th.